(This post is part of our Homemaking Hacks series, which features handy uses for everyday household items).
Baking soda is something just about everyone has sitting around somewhere in their house, (probably near the apple cider vinegar ). More than likely it doesn’t get used too often because not many people know the its many uses. Here are 15 of the handiest ways baking soda can help you around the house.
1. Homemade Shampoo. Put 1-2 tbsp of Baking Soda in a spray bottle and shake until mixed. Spray in hair and rinse wile showering.
2. Wash Produce. Take a clean damp rag and pour a little baking soda on it to clean your produce.
3. As an antacid. Baking soda helps relieve heartburn, refer to package.
4. A bath soak to soften your skin. Pour ½ Cup of baking soda into your bath.
5. Clean your microwave. Use baking soda on a damp rag to clean your microwave with no harsh smells.
6. Clean coffee pots. Fill a coffee pot with water and mix in ¼ Cup of Baking Soda for a clean and clear coffee pot.
7. Clean crayon off of walls. Apply baking soda to a damp rag and wipe clean.
8. Remove grease and oil stains. Dampen clothing that has the stain and scrub with baking soda until the stain is gone.
9. Deodorize furniture and clothing. Mix ¼ Cup of baking soda in a spray bottle full of water until combined, Spray lightly.
10. Deodorize your refrigerator. Place a box of baking soda in the fridge to keep it smell free. Change every 60 days.
11. Deodorize your garbage disposal. Pour baking soda into your garbage disposal and run while rinsing water through.
12. Clean car headlights. Don’t risk scratching your headlights and use baking soda to clean and shine when you are cleaning your car.
13. Freshen shoes. Shake baking soda in your shoes and then pour out to remove odors.
14. Keep your septic clean. Pouring some baking soda in your toilet regularly helps to keep your septic system clean.